Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

After her mom vanished in a stench of drugs and alcohol, Ruby continued to live in the family house alone. Finally found out, the introspective teenager is sent to the luxurious home of her older sister, Cora, whom she hadn't seen in ten years. Everything there seems unfamiliar, uncomfortable, and supremely weird: her fancy new room; her lavish new wardrobe; the exclusive private school where she never quite fits in. Most mysterious of all is Nate, the friendly boy next door who seems to have a deep secret of his own. Another subtle character-driven teen novel by Sarah Dessen, the author of Just Listen and That Summer.


The thing I Love about Sarah Dessen's books is the realism in the pages, how real the characters and setting is. Lock and Key does not disappoint.


I love Ruby's character. She's assertive, headstrong, funny, charming and love-able. She kinda reminds me of Annabel from Just Listen with shyness at first, but then she becomes more free and able to speak for herself. LOVE NATE! That's what I find really amazing about Sarah Dessen's and Meg Cabot's books. The Guys. They're so well described that most girls would be jealous and want their own "Michael" or "Owen" in real life! Nate is cute, adorable, he's really nice and optimistic, yet he has a secret. I feel so bad for him! But it's really sweet how he keeps the optimism and stays on the happier side of life when his life isn't.


This however, wasn't the best Sarah Dessen I would say. I mean, I didn't think it was as good as Just Listen or This Lullaby. So readers out there who HAVEN'T Read Sarah Dessen's book yet, read this one, cause there are some better ones, yet this one is still amazingly adorable and just really awesome :)


I keep thinking about the titles, and I must say there are different meanings to the word Lock and Key. I mean, it could be the key around Ruby's neck, the one that belongs to the house that she lived before she was found all alone. It could be *SPOILER ALERT* The key necklaces that Harriet in the jewelry store makes after she looks at Ruby's. But what I really think it is, is that it's the thing behind everyone's past, their secrets. Like Nate's, his is hidden behind a lock, guarded, that can only be opened by a key. Yet, Lock and Key could also have the meaning that there are new doors to be opened, like Ruby finding her sister Cora after a long time. I dunno, just food for thought.


*SPOILER ALERT* There was an really cool allusion to another work by Sarah Dessen in this book! Barbara Starr from This Lullaby made an appearance at Cora and Jamie's house party! I was like, OMG! It's her! :D


Overall, I found Lock and Key to be honest and shocking, fun loving and humorous and that things don't always seem what they look to be. Characters are amazingly well put, and the plot is FANTASTIC. Lock and Key is one Sarah Dessen book you have to read.


I was thinking, what Sarah Dessen book next?? Leave a comment, and tell me which Sarah Dessen book I should read next. The Truth About Forever? or how about Keeping the Moon? I dunno, you decide!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely love this book. Like so much.. Sarah Dessen never fails me in her books. Such a joy to read her works, really..

    Ohmy, Yes. Barbara! I had the same reaction as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!