The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray


IT HAS BEEN A YEAR OF CHANGE since Gemma Doyle arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy. Her mother murdered, her father a laudanum addict, Gemma has relied on an unsuspected strength and has discovered an ability to travel to an enchanted world called the realms, where dark magic runs wild. Despite certain peril, Gemma has bound the magic to herself and forged unlikely new alliances. Now, as Gemma approaches her London debut, the time has come to test these bonds.

The Order - the mysterious group her mother was once part of - is grappling for control of the realms, as is the Rakshana. Spence's burned East Wing is being rebuilt, but why now? Gemma and her friends see Pippa, but she is not the same. And their friendship faces its gravest trial as Gemma must decide once and for all what role she is meant for.

I think I loved this book even more the second time.

I guess that may be because I was only 12 (wow, a 2 whole years ago ;P) when I read this book, and I might not have understood what they were saying etc. Well, a lot has changed in those two years. I loved this book, understood the non-understandable and made it through all 800+ pages.

I found this a very dramatic, amazing, and saddening conclusion to the Gemma Doyle trilogy. Everything comes together in this book, secrets are found out, not only of the Order, but of Gemma and her friends and family as well. It almost is too much to take in at one point with *SPOILER ALERT* a betrayal of one who was thought to be innocent, Felicity's secret and Pippa's main goal. It's frightening...but I loved every second of it.

I read the first book without much knowledge of it. I though, this looks like an amazing Classic looking book...and it turned out to be fantasy. Which worked out in my favor in the end, because I really love fantasy, and I've never read a book which combines a Classic (well, modern-author telling a story from the 1800's), and Dark, Gruesome Fantasy. The fantasy in this book is a whole lot different from other books, as it combines different elements from Mythology, such as the Gorgon, the Fates etc. and puts it all together. All Fantasy creatures in this book are also evil, which makes it much darker, mysterious and creepier than ever. Loved it. Every. Single. Bit. Have I mentioned that before? It's just so good, that I felt like it was worth saying it another time.

In this book, Gemma doesn't know who to trust. The one she loves betrays her, her friends end up having a fight with her, and she suddenly feels very alone...and very threatened. Her family's being threatened unless she does what they tell her to do, the Forest Folk suddenly start a war with the Untouchables and everything keeps falling apart. Creatures who seem innocent at first aren't at all what they seem to be on the inside...

Gemma's character however is an amazing one. I love her humor and sarcasm, and yet her headstong-ness and ability to not let her friends down. She senses when things go wrong or something is amiss. With her amazing powers she also manages to help her friends and also gain the information she needs. An amazing heroine, I think she's also as strong as some other fictional characters, such as Katniss from The Hunger Games.

Luvvve Kartik. And it makes it even better that he's Indian ;). *SPOILER ALERT* I don't blame Gemma for falling for him, he's just so irresistable. But it's so sad at the ending...I nearly screamed at the book thinking, WHY? WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN? I nearly gave up finishing it to the end the first time I read it (even though there was only around 20-30 or something like that pages to go till the end) I was just that upset. He is just so...like Mr. Darcy almost. Well, you know, an Indian version of him...and part of an ancient brotherhood...and fantasy like things. Well, you get the point.

Overall, I would say that The Sweet Far Thing is a fantastic and amazing (amazingly huge) ending to the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. It's dark secrets and twists are so shocking and unbelievable, it's so good :D.

1 comment:

  1. This entire series is one of my favorite series. I felt like I was in Gemma's world when I read it. I loved the ending even though it was so sad. It just fit. My daughter hates it because she doesn't want any thing to happen to main characters lol. I still love it. I truly felt immersed when I was reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!