Interview with Gae Polisner

Today I'm thrilled at having Gae Polisner, author of the upcoming YA book The Pull of Gravity (AmazonGoodreads) on my blog. She's really sweet and funny, and I can't wait to read her upcoming book! Without any further delay, here's Gae Polisner!




Random Questions:


What kind of Music do you like listening to?







I’m one of those people who likes a little bit of lots of different things: some older classics like The Beatles, Steely Dan, Van Morrison, but then some newer stuff like Plain White T’s, Vampire Weekend, Ray Lamontagne… even though my older son hates me for it, I also love a lot of dance and rap stuff too, because it wakes me up and makes me feel happy. I have a running joke about trying to learn to shake my a** like Shakira. I practice a lot and am getting closer. 



What is one Book you've read recently?







Recently, I’ve been on a kick of reading -- or rereading -- the books of the amazing authors that have praised The Pull of Gravity on the back cover. Each one is unbelievably awesome. In no particular order: KL Going, King of the Screwups; Chris Crutcher, Deadline; Lynne Rae Perkins, As Easy as Falling off the Face of the Earth; Francisco X. Stork, Marcello in the Real World (maybe one of my favorite books of all time); and Mary E. Pearson, The Miles Between. I could quote you passages from any one of these books and you would swoon. Ok, I would swoon. ☺ I know, I know, that wasn’t one, that was five. I can count; I just don’t follow directions. 



What is your favorite book(s) of all time?







lol. See above. But also, a few more all-time favorites: A Prayer for Owen Meany, A Wrinkle In Time, The History of Love, and almost anything that William Goldman ever wrote including The Princess Bride which was a book long before it was a movie. Er, there’s that not-following-directions thing again.



What's your favorite Ice Cream Flavor?







Mint chocolate chip? I’m really more of a frozen yogurt (Red Mango/Crazy Yogurt) kind of a girl. In which case, I really like the tangy original flavor. With fresh fruit and toasted coconut on top. Mmmm, coconut. 



Dream Vacation Spot?







I was in St. Maarten in college. I want to go back. I’d also love to go back to Italy.



What is your favorite TV Show/Movie? Favorite Actor/Actress?







I’m a big Chopped fan. And Top Chef, and Project Runway. I also love Entourage and Mad Men. And Jon Hamm. Mmmm, John Hamm. I’m a pretty big Jesse Eisenberg fan too. But I also love Alec Baldwin. Hmmm. What was the question again? *looks back over schizophrenic answer and shakes head*


Serious (ish :D) Questions: uh oh.


What gave you the Inspiration for The Pull of Gravity?







A few things. I was writing women’s fiction but was reading aloud nightly to my two sons, then like 8 and 10 (yes, I was reading YA to them then). And we could never find enough really good contemporary YA fiction with male main characters (MC’s). My boys didn’t love sci-fi or fantasy or anything. So I decided I would try to write one. I’ve always loved young adult fiction. As for storyline inspiration, both the Dad character and the Scoot were inspired by separate newspaper articles. I just sort of wove them together. Then tied them to Nick (my MC). But Nick was a little low-key and indecisive and needed some focus and inspiration, which is how Jaycee Amato came along. She is anything but those things. ☺



What made you want to become a Writer?







I wrote from the time I was little, so the better question is why did it take me so long to become one? I wrote a ton through elementary school, high school and college, but then decided I wanted to go to law school. Then I became a lawyer and had kids and all of that kept me busy. It took me a long time to get back to my creative writing. I’ve been a lot of things. A writer is what I always wanted to be.



What is the significance/meaning of the Title? How did you choose it?







Ah, the magic question. I’ll give you a hint: it comes from a Yoda quote. And the quote is significant in the story. ☺ The original title the book sold under was Steinbeck, The Scoot, and the Pull of Gravity. No one could remember the right order, so we all (my agent, my editor and I) agreed it should be shortened to The Pull of Gravity. I do love the title.



What do you hope readers take from The Pull of Gravity?



Someone else asked me this the other day. Not anything really specific. Not a lesson or a moral or anything. More a visceral feeling. I hope my readers remember my characters fondly, almost as if they are real people. I hope they remember moments from the book like snapshots. I hope there’s an overriding sense of relating and going, that could be me. And if it is me now or one day, I hope I have a friend like Nick or Jaycee to pull me through the rough spots. Or that my life is influenced by someone just a little extraordinary like the Scoot. 



Other than Writing, what do you like to do in your Spare Time?







When I’m not writing, I’m either working at my day job (I’m still a practicing lawyer but have limited my practice to family-law mediation), hanging with my family or swimming. I’m a hugely avid swimmer, and from May – October swim in the open waters of the Long Island Sound. Last year was my first OWS year and I already completed my first 5K. Slowly, but finished. The open water is pure bliss for me.



Thank you so much to Gae Polisner for allowing me to interview her, and I hope I can grab a copy of The Pull of Gravity (AmazonGoodreads) when it comes out on May 10th! Here's a blurb:






While Nick Gardner’s family is falling apart, his best friend, Scooter, is dying from a freak disease. The Scoot’s final wish is that Nick and their quirky classmate, Jaycee Amato, deliver a prized first-edition copy of Of Mice and Men to the Scoot’s father. There’s just one problem: the Scoot’s father walked out years ago and hasn’t been heard from since. So, guided by Steinbeck’s life lessons, and with only the vaguest of plans, Nick and Jaycee set off to find him. Characters you’ll want to become friends with and a narrative voice that sparkles with wit make this a truly original coming-of-age story.


Stalk...err, I mean, Visit Gae Polisner:


Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for this one to come to print! Go, Gae! Just curious, though, have you read Cheever's "The Swimmer"? It's all about you. Well, if you were a guy. :-) And I know you aren't... I've seen pictures. CONGRATS on debuting with such a terrific book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you for having me here. :)

    Second, @ Randy (Ghostfolk is Randy Russell, author of the awesome Dead Rules coming in July), I haven't and must, mustn't I? Read Cheever's The Swimmer, that is. I do however have the 1970's The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster on my favorite movies list. I'm suddenly thinking the movie is based on the book (short story?) If that's the case, I never knew (#Iamaliteraryfailure). :)

    *runs to Google The Swimmer/The Swimmer.*

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice interview. i like the non-writer related questions. nice glimpse into the author as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Gae, love the interview! And although I love froyo, if I had to pick, it would be mint chocolate chip all the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!