On My Wishlist - Week 3

"On My Wishlist" is a weekly meme hosted by Book Chick City. It's to show one book that's on my wishlist. It can be old, new or upcoming. It's just to show what I want to read on my amazingly long crazy wishlist!




One Book on My Wishlist:


Speak
by Laurie Halse Anderson


(from Goodreads)


Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...

Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel is a stunning and sympathetic tribute to the teenage outcast. The triumphant ending, in which Melinda finds her voice, is cause for cheering (while many readers might also shed a tear or two). After reading 
Speak, it will be hard for any teen to look at the class scapegoat again without a measure of compassion and understanding for that person--who may be screaming beneath the silence.



The Library has this one as well, so I'm thinking about borrowing it :)


What's on your wishlist? Leave a link/comment!

3 comments:

  1. I want it !!I've heard it was really moving and that it was a book that changes your life !! Great wish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good - it keeps popping up on my "Recommended" list at Amazon, so I've been toying with sticking it on my wishlist there.

    Nice choice, I hope you get a chance to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have ten new wishes. They are from the start of the year. Come see what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!