The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han




Some summers are just destined to be pretty

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

This was such an adorable summer read! One of the best I must say...actually, now that I think about it, the only summer read I've read. Which is fine by all means, 'cause this book was AWESOME.

I've been recommended this book several times and I really started to look for it when I got an email, asking me to read and review this book (Thank you Elizabeth Potter!) and I began searching for it. Luckily, the library had been able to find that lost copy and HUZZAH! I borrowed it! and then I read it!

and then I loved it!

I really love how all the past summers are included and tell special memories from that time. Actually, that bit was confusing at first, 'cause stupid me forgot to look at the chapter titles and see which age was the summer on. So after clearing that up, the book went not-so confusingly and I ended up loving it so much. I hated Taylor, got shocked at the thing between her and the brother and loved all the funny bits in between. 
The main story, however, was far more interesting. For the first time ever, Belly (will come to her in a second) is noticed by her long-time crush, Conrad. It's also the first summer where her brother isn't there as well. Its the first summer of dating, secrets, separation and change. It was all very realistic, and that just adds up more to the awesome-ness scale. 

Belly...whenever her name came up I just kinda thought of a chubby 6 year old for some reason. It's just kinda a ridiculous (yet original) nickname that makes me think of her really weirdly, but fine. She was an okay character. I found her...maybe a bit too childish? also, really out for attention. She kinda reminds me of a child trying to act grownup. Believe me, everyone's been there! but at 15? It just seemed really weird. 

LOVVEDD Jeremiah. It was so sad, though, how Belly doesn't really seem to notice that he likes her. It's always Conrad, Conrad, Conrad, *SPOILER ALERT* and it's really so sweet and sad how he "gives" her up. I soooo prefer Jeremiah to Conrad (although, I must admit, he's a bit...well, hot) but YEAH. Jeremiah all the way!

This book was full of emotion. From first loves, to jealousy, to pain and sorrow. It's the summer that everyone wishes for and dreads. It's got some really sad bits as secrets are revealed, separations occur, and it's time to choose. Characters (apart from my weirdness with Belly) were all fantastic, with real depth and personalities very real.

Jenny Han has created a book that has the summer that every girl wishes for, the boys every girl dreams for, and some of the realities that every one doesn't want. A remarkable YA debut (Shug was MG right?) by Jenny Han, I can't wait to read the sequel, It's Not Summer Without You.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review !! I've added this one to my wishlist !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with you, this is the PERFECT summer read ! But I'm team Conrad ^^ Because, you said it, he's sooo hot :D ! Well, it's not just for that too ^^ ! You have to read the two other books of the Summer saga, even if the second is more sad ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might have to be my favorite book EVER!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!