Geek Magnet by Kieran Scott



Everyone loves KJ Miller, especially the geeks. She's pretty, smart, and super nice to everyone, which has made her the geek pied piper of Washington High. If only Cameron, the star of the basketball team, would follow her around and worship her the way her dorky entourage does.
As the stage manager of the spring musical, Grease, KJ has to deal with a few geeks, but she also gets to hang out with Tama, queen of the popular crowd and star of the play. Tama has the solution to all of KJ's problems: get cruel. After all, the nice girl never gets the guy. Can KJ actually pull off a transformation into a mean girl?

For KJ, life is complicated.
She is the ultimate geek magnet. Why can't it work with the hot guys though? That's what she asks, when she cannot get the right attention from popular boy Cameron. The cover of the book really caught my attention (who cannot resist diving into a book with a cover and title like that?!) and I'm glad I caught sight of it, because it was one hilarious ride into the land of geekdom.

We've all been down this road sometime or the other. In this hilarious novel by Kieran Scott, we can definitely feel and relate to KJ and how life can be completely overrun by geeks. Not that I have anything against them, of course (I will gladly say this: I AM A BOOK GEEK! and proud of it :D).
I love how though, with all the funny moments in the novel, that there are serious moments for KJ, where life takes on the more realistic course with family and choices. I love the emotion the author has put into KJ during all these moments, because it's as if we're seeing a different side to her personality, the not so happy side as she "seems" to be.

I love KJ's character. She's so real! With her emotions we can see the pain she feels through embarrassment, anger at home with her dad, and the duty of taking on the play and geeks. And of course, her confusion in which choice is the best to take. Which is when KJ meets Tama. 
Tama is....I have a whole bunch of words which I probably shouldn't put in to describe her. I. HATE. HER. I hated her from the moment she was introduced. Not only does she have that "bad vibe", but she IS bad. Meanie. She teaches KJ how to be mean to Geeks, which in her case I don't whether it was a good or bad thing. I felt so bad for Robbie! (<3 him) but in the end, everything turns out right.
Cameron? Forget about him. He's like a donkey...only that would be giving them injustice. He's so stupid! I don't know why KJ would even fall for him in the first place. However, I feel like his character could be more developed, as I don't remember too much about him...except for the big twist in things. Of course, THAT I remember. That part was really weird and must have been a big shock for KJ though. I'm not gonna spoil it though! Read it and find it out yourselves. There are a couple of really big events and twists that jump out. I remember thinking that the book was gonna end, but then of course, something HAD to happen, and plus, there was a whole bunch of paper left to read.

I liked the structure, as it's set up into Acts. and anyone who knows me knows that after Reading and Blogging, the next thing I love is ACTING. I have no idea how many plays I've been in (12 Angry Men, Lord of the Flies just to name a few) and so I'm happy that there was plenty of acting and drama related stuff in this novel, with the production of Grease. It reminds me of Prom Night: All the Way by Megan Stine, because in that novel they do a production of Guys & Dolls.

Kieran Scott has written a fantastically funny novel where teens can relate to...geeks, and see a whole other side to the story. Hilarious, painful and realistic, this story will stay with you! I need to get my hands on Scott's series, A Non-Blonde Cheerleader, it sounds as hilarious! Sorry for the short review, but trust me, you WILL fall in love with this book and geeks.


Publication Date: May 29th, 2008
Recommended for: Young Adult 13+
Source: Borrowed from School Library
Amazon❘❘Goodreads



2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!