Zitface by Emily Howse

Zitface by Emily Howse


Published: April 28th, 2011
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Rating: MG 12+
Format: ARC
Source: Sent from Publisher
AmazonGoodreads


Thirteen-year-old Olivia Hughes knows what she wants to do with her life—be an actress. And she’s already on her way. She just landed a national ad campaign that should get her noticed.


But then her luck runs out. A little pimple turns into a full-blown case of acne, with serious side effects for her career, relationships, and budding romance with J.W., the new guy at school.

Now all Olivia wants to do is hide, but she can’t. She goes from being the girl at school everyone wants to be…to Zitface, a girl who is teased, dumped, and even fired.

What do you do when you’ve lost control of everything in your life? Olivia has to find out the hard way. And maybe, what she finds isn’t so bad after all.





**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Readers Copy). The final text/cover may be different!**

When I first saw this book, I immediately though, "THAT's the book for me!" because you know why? I severe acne problems too. No biggie. It's one of the the things of being a teen. Sure, it gets annoying and hideous even, but it's natural. So I was dying to get my hands on this book, and so the lovely people at Marshall Cavendish sent me this along with 2 other books (Memento Nora and Crystal Bones). 
This book is for pre-teens and teens alike, we can see that the problem spreads around these age groups. The writing is hilarious and includes pop-references which makes it great for girls from 11 onward to love this book! It's about coming-of-age, which really does help and it's painful and funny at the same time to see the things Olivia goes through to get rid of the acne.

Howse's characters are so fresh and new, although they can be outright annoying at times. I love Olivia– I totally understand the pain she goes through trying to be normal, get her crush's attention, and yet still work around her crazy career, AND help out at home with her mom and sister. Crazy eh?? But I always hated JW...blech. Her friend as well, Wendy. I hated her too. You'll find out why...but LOVE THEO!! :D I find Olivia's little sister adorable as well...although she is a bit of a blabber-mouth, but still, she's cute!
I really like how the plot always adds some sort of twist, just when you think it's ending perfectly to shake up the story. I like it! It adds unexpected elements, characters and we get a more realistic outcome than the usual plasticky fairy tale. It turns out to be alright in the end. Kinda unexpected, but a good ending :).


Zitface is a book which all girls (and yes, guys of course!) can relate to and find the funnier side to the story. This is an amazing debut for Middle Grade and Young Adult readers by Emily Howse, and I can't wait to read more from her! Her writing is quick, enthralling, and will have you giggling at hilarious dialogues and wincing at painful acne treatments.


**Thank You so much to Marshall Cavendish for sending me Zitface for review!**


If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. I so could have used a book like that when I was a teen... Sigh. And sadly my pimple problems haven't completely gone away, so I would totally still read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with all of the ideas you have introduced on your post.
    They are very convincing and can definitely work.
    Still, the posts are very brief for novices. May just you please prolong them a little from
    subsequent time? Thanks for the post.
    my website: click through the next web page

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!