Love Story by Jennifer Echols




Love Story by Jennifer Echols

Published: July 19th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Rating: Adult/YA 14+
Format: eGalley

She's writing about him. he's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines.. 
For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions--it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?
Then, on the day she's sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He's joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.
**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may change.**

This was my first Jennifer Echols book and it surely isn’t going to be my last. I know it has an Adult tone to it, but I think it’s suitable for young adults as well. I found this one of those “fluffy” light books, yet has some interesting turn in it. I love the stories (I actually thought before this was some historical romance when it opened up with Erin’s story) and found it interesting to see Erin and Hunter’s past encoded into fiction and have some deeper meaning to it.
Erin was a good main character. Nothing too special about her, but I do like the fact that she chooses to write romance stories, no matter what judgements her peers and family give. She’s also very “money-conscious” which I find interesting given to her background and such. Overall, I find her to be funny, nice and easy to understand. No complications, no drama. LOVE Hunter. OMG, this is why I love contemporary books. They’re boys are so much more realistic, and therefore, have more chance of being actual living beings on this planet. I found Hunter quite sweet, yet frustrating at times, because he’s playing hard to get or whatever. Love the connection between Erin and him, and I find their history together quite intriguing.
Summer and Jørdis (with a slash :P) are really cool minor characters, especially Summer. I find her day dreaming about Erin and Hunter quite hilarious, and her tactics to find out stuff especially funny. Jørdis’ art projects sound really cool, but I wish she had made more of an appearance in the book.
I don’t know much about horses, but this book’s full of them! You can’t come away after reading this without knowing a couple of things about horses. I love how it mixes with the stories and that horses are a huge part of Erin’s history–for better or worse. As you learn more about Erin, you’ll find that horses reminds her of pain, and you’ll see why if you read it.
I love the turning point in this story, where we find out how Erin and Hunter drifted apart. It’s shocking, and it really changes perspective on how you feel towards the characters. There’s also another twist to the story which effects Erin, although I don’t like how she acts after this does happen. I think she could have reacted a bit more, like stood up for herself or done something. I dunno. I think she let it go to easily…
Love Story is a suitable title, not only for the budding romance (did I really just say budding?!) and whole falling-in-love gig, but the stories of the characters’ past mixing in with the present, which leads up to the conclusion. It’s cute, fascinating and fuzzy, definitely will make you feel warm and good inside, as well as empathetic and sad. This was my first Jennifer Echols book, and I’m looking forward to reading some of her others.
If you like this, try...

5 comments:

  1. Great review! This one sounds really good. I'll have to pick up a copy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin and Hunter's creative writing class is as much a setting as the city's backdrop. So much happens within and because of the class. Erin's and Hunter's short stories are showcased throughout the book and it gets the reader thinking more and more about the subtleties they each impart with their words. I found myself longing for a new story from each of them, so I could gain another piece to the Erin/Hunter puzzle, and figure out what pulled these two people apart and what it may take to put them back together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been lusting after "Such a Rush" for a quite some time,
    yet I have never read any of Echols books... hmmmm.
    I will definitely be starting with this one!
    Thanks for the great review.
    I agree with you that the guys in YA contemporary are so much more realistic! Makes it more enjoyable for me to read :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice riview,,putting it in my TBR..
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story sounds like a keeper. I haven't read Ms. Echols books, but I would love to start with this one. I added this book to my book wish list.

    jmesparza821(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!