Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson


Release Date: May 1, 2008
Publisher: Point
Series: Scarlett, Book 1
Rating: YA 14+
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite


Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small Art Deco hotel in the heart of New York City. When each of the Martins turns fifteen, they are expected to take over the care of a suite. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet and world traveler.

And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn.

Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery and romantic missteps. But in the city where anything can happen, she just might be able to pull it off.


When I first started this book I kinda thought it was like The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Minus the twins, the rich girl and the temperamental manager. Suite Scarlett is a cute book about the hotel business, acting, discovering love and finding yourself. The perfect summer novel!


I didn't find that Scarlett had that certain...spark. At first. I thought she was a little mild, not too exciting, just wanted to please her parents and do what she's told. As the story progresses forward, Scarlett opens up and things get a little more exciting.
Unlike my usual boy "fan-girling" moments, I have to say, I wasn't too attracted to Eric that much. YES he made me feel all good and stuff, but...he unfortunately, lost his spark near the end. I liked him enough to gush about him (in my mind) at first, but now that I think about it, he wasn't anyone really special, or even that great. I don't know. But he's still a great character and adds spice to the story!


I have to say though, I loved the supporting cast. Mrs. Amberson, how awesome is she?! Honestly, I thought she could be the best character in this whole novel. Spencer was hilarious, although I found his jealousy over Scarlett and Eric's relationship a little bit...weird. I liked Lola and Marlene enough, but felt that they should have been more involved in the book.
This book has a TON of acting in it. Like, no kidding. I take drama as part of my IGCSE program, and I'm gonna take it in IB as well, so this book was like a total helper for me. Looking at Hamlet, and how they put the whole thing together– I loved it! Great for theatre geeks and drama queens ;).


I've never read Maureen Johnson's novels, only heard about them. Suite Scarlett was a great beginning to what I'm sure will not be the last I read of Johnson's books. It's cute, quirky, and got that humor that everyone loves. Actors, businessmen, readers, and lovers in a complicated relationships: pick up this book! It's got YOU written all over it. Can't wait to pick up book 2, Scarlett Fever.


If you like this, try...




Other Covers available:


(English, French)

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I LOVE that you post the alternate covers too?! I have an ebook of this one and I haven't finished yet. I really need to though because Maureen Johnson books rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!