Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett

Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett


Release Date: September 19, 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Rating: YA 13+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

 Ariadne is destined to become a goddess of the moon. She leads a lonely life, filled with hours of rigorous training by stern priestesses. Her former friends no longer dare to look at her, much less speak to her. All that she has left are her mother and her beloved, misshapen brother Asterion, who must be held captive below the palace for his own safety.
So when a ship arrives one spring day, bearing a tribute of slaves from Athens, Ariadne sneaks out to meet it. These newcomers don’t know the ways of Krete; perhaps they won’t be afraid of a girl who will someday be a powerful goddess. And indeed she meets Theseus, the son of the king of Athens. Ariadne finds herself drawn to the newcomer, and soon they form a friendship—one that could perhaps become something more.
Yet Theseus is doomed to die as an offering to the Minotaur, that monster beneath the palace—unless he can kill the beast first. And that "monster" is Ariadne’s brother . . .

If you know me, you'll know that I love mythology, especially Greek mythology. So, if you do know me, you should know that I'm in love with this book.
Like with Esther Friesner's Nobody's Princess series, this one is more historical with magic and mythology tying into it. The novel is based on the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur, about the labyrinth which hides the monster. But this story takes a twist on the tale, and makes it more surprising, with familiar elements and characters.


This story is told from two points of view: Ariadne and Theseus. I think they alternate every couple chapters, which I at first found confusing a bit, but then realized the narrator's name is at the top (my bad!).
I have to say, I prefer this Ariadne to the myth one. She sounds much stronger, and much more caring to the people of Crete. Even though she's practically worshipped by everyone, she hates that lifestyle and wishes to be normal. I think she's a really strong character, I immensely enjoyed her story and thought that the emotions she feels are really expressed in the words.
If you know me and my reviews, there's always someone who I swoon about. Yup, unsurprisingly, it's Theseus. I DEFINITELY choose this one over the myth guy. He's practically a really hot senior. You know, minus the high school. There's just something about mythical guys that make them so...sexy, I guess ;) But what I didn't like about him was his dishonesty I have to say...that turned me off a little. But any-hoo, loved him!


I love how as the myth portrays the Minotaur as a monster, but this story really makes him more loveable, and child-like. Like, he's not a monster, kind of like King Kong. He's just really misunderstood and is lonely all by himself. I thought that Barrett did a great job on this, and we got to see the other side to this story.
The writing, descriptions and details, and the mythological tie-ins were amazing in this story. It really felt like it was apart of history– the magic and all. There were several other mythological or maybe slightly more historical characters in this, such as Daedalus, and Medea. I found that the story still had the basis of the myth, but was more justified and had a great change to it, like with the ending of the story, the reason for the tributes and stuff like that.


In Dark of the Moon Tracy Barrett has really re-created history and the myth into a much fresher and more dynamic view. Fans of Greek mythology and YA readers should definitely not miss this, as it's got romance, action, godly powers– how can you miss out on this? This book was unputdownable. This book was extraordinarily good and has got that originality and fresh look which everyone's dying for. Don't make a mistake you will regret– read this book! Tracy Barrett has got my full-on attention, and I can't wait to read more from her.


If you like this, try...


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!