In My Mailbox – Week 28

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It's to share what books I received, bought, won etc. this week.
This is my first IMM in a LONG time. Like LONG long time. I think the last one I posted was in November last year. Yeah, THAT long. I've received tons of books, and I'm gonna share them in the style of which Rachel from Fitkshun does in her "My Reading Pile" posts.

Bought:


At the bottom of the pile, I bought Beautiful Darkness and Beautiful Chaos, books 2 and 3 of The Spellcaster series by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. This was bought for a Margaret Stohl's signing, which unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the signed inside. BUT that will come in a post soon about the signing :).
I bought Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty (which is book 2 in the Jessica Darling series), 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson and Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella from a school book fair for only $6! That's treasure for sure.
Then below Remember Me is a copy of Cinder by Marissa Meyer, which I had for a while on NetGalley, but then was archived before I downloaded it. SO, luckily, I saw this copy and BAM! Now I get to read it.

For Review and Won:


On the top of the pile is an ARC of Girl Meets Boy: Because There are Two Sides to Every Story by Various Authors, sent from Chronicle Publishing. Loved it, and look out for a review tomorrow.
Following that is a (signed!) ARC of The Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin, sent from the author himself. I am in the process of reading it, and should have hopefully have finished it by the end of this week.

I won two books: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon, from Chrizette of All the Days of. I've had Fallon on the blog for an interview, so I'm finally getting the chance to read her book!
The second book I won was Incarnate by Jodi Meadows, from Tristan of Reads With Wreckless Abandon. Another book I which I've been really wanting to read :).

**Thank you so much everyone!**

Gifted:


It was my birthday around 3 weeks ago, and so here's the loot:
My friend gave me Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey and Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Both have gotten amazing reviews, so I can't wait to get to reading it!
From my family I got Tempest by Julie Cross and the big monster at the end is Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (which is the 4th and final book in the Inheritance series). I've peaked at Tempest but have to put it off. Too many books for review! As for Inheritance, I need to re-read the whole series, to get back in my "fantasy" mood. And plus... the books were released so far apart from one another, I can't really remember what happens in them :P.

NetGalley:

I've gotten TONS of ebooks (keep in mind– since November), but I'm not gonna put any pictures up.


HarperCollins: Spin by Catherine McKenzie. Not too much in the YA genre, but still an enjoyable read. Look out for a review soon!


Candlewick Press: Another Jekyll, Another Hyde by Daniel and Dina Nayeri, and See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles. I haven't read any of the previous "Another" books, but they all sound like amazing retellings. See You at Harry's sounds like an MG novel, but nonetheless, still can't wait to get reading.


ABRAMS: Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews, and Dying to Know You by Aiden Chambers. Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe was featured on one of my Waiting on Wednesday's posts, so I'm ecstatic to read it. Both MaEatDG and Dying to Know You sound fantastic as well.


Flux Books: Pieces of Us by Margie Gelbwasser, Katana by Cole Gibsen, I Am (Not) the Walrus by Ed Briant, Hollywierd by Terri Clark, Sirenz Back in Fashion by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman, Ferocity Summer by Alissa Grosso, and Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear. Katana was unfortunately archived, so I didn't get the chance to read it :(. Loads of great titles, Sirenz Back in Fashion is book 2 of the Sirenz series, so I'm interested to see what happens next!


Random House (Children's Books/Publishing Group): Starters by Lissa Price, Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown, and Jersey Angel by Beth Ann Bauman. ALL of these have been on my wishlist, so I'm extremely happy to have them for review.
I also got Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares as a paperback release eGalley, and I'm EXTREMELY happy, because I've loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for ages, and I need to see how it all ends.


Harlequin: Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz and Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter. Both are 2nd books in a series– Spellbound and Goddess Test. I haven't read The Goddess Test yet, but I'm planning to borrow it soon, so hopefully, I can squeeze in that review before the 2nd book.


Marshall Cavendish: Torn by Stephanie Guerra, The Weepers by Susanne Winnacker, Kiss the Morning Star by Elissa Janine Hoole, and The Forgetting Curve by Angie Smibert. The Forgetting Curve is the 2nd book in the Memento Nora series, which I loved the first book. The other three are relatively new to me, but I still can't wait to read and review them.


TKA Distribution: Putting Boys on the Ledge by Stephanie Rowe. No idea how this one is, but it sounded interesting, so I couldn't help requesting it.


Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. ANOTHER one from my WoW post, so YAY!!! This one was on a 2-day special promo thing, so I'm lucky when I saw this available for eGalley download.


Macmillan Children's Publishing Group: (LOADS of titles) The Girl is Trouble by Kathryn Miller Haines, The Raft by S.A. Bodeen, Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama, Before You Go by James Preller, Struck by Jennifer Bosworth, Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne, All These Lives by Sarah Wylie. Tons of reading as you can tell.

ANNNDDD that's all the loot I've gotten for 4 months. Not bad eh?




In My Reading Pile this week:

Rachel from Fitkshun does this cool thing after sharing her mailbox, so I thought why not? *Thanks for the amazing idea!*


Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

As it's about to expire from my reader, this one has gotten great reviews, so I better finish it fast!


•••••••



Various Positions by Martha Schabas


Nuanced, fresh, and gorgeously well-written, Martha Schabas' extraordinary debut novel takes us inside the beauty and brutality of professional ballet, and the young women striving to make it in that world. Shy and introverted, and trapped between the hyper-sexualized world of her teenaged friends and her dysfunctional family, Georgia is only at ease when she's dancing. Fortunately, she's an unusually talented and promising dancer. When she is accepted into the notoriously exclusive Royal Ballet Academy--Canada's preeminent dance school--Georgia thinks she has made the perfect escape. In ballet, she finds the exhilarating control and power she lacks elsewhere in her life: physical, emotional and, increasingly, sexual.

This dynamic is nowhere more obvious than in Georgia's relationship with Artistic Director Roderick Allen. As Roderick singles her out as a star and subjects her to increasingly vicious training, Georgia obsesses about becoming his perfect student, disciplined and sexless. But a disturbing incident with a stranger on the subway, coupled with her dawning recognition of the truth of her parents' unhappy marriage, causes her to radically reassess her ideas about physical boundaries--a reassessment that threatens both Roderick's future at the academy and Georgia's ambitions as a ballerina.

Likewise with Graffiti Moon, this is about to expire and I REALLY want to read it.

•••••••


The Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin


1913, Salem, Massachusetts – Sarah Engelmann’s life is full of friends, books, and avoiding the pressure to choose a husband, until an ominous vision and the haunting call of an otherworldly trumpet shake her. When she stumbles across a gruesome corpse, she fears that her vision was more of a premonition. And when she sees the murdered boy moving through the crowd at an amusement park, Sarah is thrust into a dark battle she does not understand.
With the help of Alex, an attractive Greek immigrant who knows a startling amount about the undead, Sarah sets out to uncover the truth. Their quest takes them to the factory mills of Salem, on a midnight boat ride to spy on an eerie coastal lair, and back, unexpectedly, to their own homes. What can Alex’s elderly, vampire-hunting grandfather and Sarah’s own rabbi father tell them? And what do Sarah’s continuing visions reveal?
No less than Gabriel’s Trumpet, the tool that will announce the End of Days, is at stake, and the forces that have banded to recover it include a 900 year-old vampire, a trio of disgruntled Egyptian gods, and a demon-loving Puritan minister. At the center of this swirling cast is Sarah, who must fight a millennia-old battle against unspeakable forces, knowing the ultimate prize might be herself.

I received this one as a physical ARC and I want to finish this one by the end of this week at the most.




That's it for this time, and hopefully I'll be back next week with some great other books :)

What did you receive?

5 comments:

  1. Great books this week! When reading Various Positions I will tell you to take caution, maybe bring an extra change of clothes because that book disgusted me beyond belief. Only fair warning, if you want to read my review be my guest, from one blogger to any other, may the force be with you.
    But anyway! Enjoy your books this week Cx

    Le Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinder is absolutely freaking amazing. And Incarnate too! And wow, so many NetGalley books! I'm dying to read Spellcaster - I loved Spellbound! Anyway, I hope you love all of your new books :)

    Tara @ Hobbitsies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set! I really liked Carrier of the Mark. I can't wait to read Shatter Me.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice looking haul! I will have to look some of these boos up, they sound good!

    Thanks for sharing!
    http://paulettespapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great IMM.

    13 Little Blue Envelops was really good!

    Shatter Me is an amazinggg book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!