Burning Blue by Paul Griffin

Burning Blue by Paul Griffin

Release Date: October 25, 2012
Publisher: Dial Books
Rated: YA 14+
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

When Nicole Castro, the most beautiful girl in her wealthy New Jersey high school, is splashed with acid on the left side of her perfect face, the whole world takes notice. But quiet loner Jay Nazarro does more than that--he decides to find out who did it. Jay understands how it feels to be treated like a freak, and he also has a secret: He's a brilliant hacker. But the deeper he digs, the more danger he's in--and the more he falls for Nicole. Too bad everyone is turning into a suspect, including Nicole herself.

Award-winning author Paul Griffin has written a high-stakes, soulful mystery about the meaning--and dangers--of love and beauty.

Paul Griffin's Burning Blue caught my eye with it's stunning cover and its premise. I've heard of the acid attacks against women in Pakistan and other developing countries... but never of one in an American high school. I was definitely intrigued.
I loved this book. I devoured it, literally flipping pages, insistent to figure out who the person behind the acid attack was before the story ended and found my attempts were a fail: the ending totally caught me off guard. Usually, I can figure out who is guilty, but with this book? Nu-uh. Caught by surprise and it made sense, tagging along with the plot. Some of the details were easy to guess, but the end was just mind-blowingly off my final suspect.

Because I'll never have it. 
Because I'll never be it.
Because after a little test run, I find that I like the sound.
The hissing.
She will burn.

I like that the book (like the quote above) is somewhat like a collection of "evidence" pertaining to this case, as well as two perspectives. You have the emails from the attacker, then you have bits of Nicole's diary (her perspective), and then we have Jay's point of view, the main plot and story. I liked looking at both sides of the story, more so when there was a huge development, or when Nicole was hiding something from Jay. It totally built up the suspense and left me grasping for more!

If you haven't guessed by now, our two main characters are Jay and (surprise!) Nicole. I really thought that these characters were unique to others within the YA genre. Like Jay for example, has seizures and is a loner, yet he's on the wrestling team, a hacker, gets quite a large amount of attention from girls, and can seriously throw a punch. Nicole is your popular girl, but not in the way you'd think. These characters were so easy to connect to, and empathize with– I wanted their story to go on!

Burning Blue is a story which I wish I hadn't devoured so quickly. I wish that savored the rich descriptions more, and prolonged the speed at which I was reading. I can only blame myself for this. It's an amazing thriller– the kind which makes your eyes bulge out and your  heart beat loud as a drum. Paul Griffin's writing twists and turns, erratic yet intensely compelling, leading you to an end which leaves your mouth hanging agape. Loved it!


Thank you to Jessica Shoffel from Penguin for sending me Burning Blue for review!


If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. Eeep! This sounds SO GOOD. Really need to read it soon! Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, this sounds really good! I love the different POV's and the fact that you were surprised by the ending :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!