The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite by Kiera Cass

Release Date: April 23, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: The Selection, Book 2
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Read my review of The Selection HERE.

The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

If you've read my review of The Selection, you'll know how in love I am with this series. Kiera Cass has reduced me to becoming absolutely OBSESSED with this series– which I am glad for.
After I'd read the first book, I wasn't sure of my standing. I didn't know whether to go with Team Maxon, whom I was leaning towards the whole time, or Team Aspen, who I just couldn't let go of. Going into this book was super frustrating. I think it was generally the lack of romance in The Elite. The Selection had a LOT of it (which I was glad for) but this one tamed it down a little, so it was confusing and frustrating, and made me want to tear my hair out with every encounter with Maxon. I have now fully pledged myself to the "Maxon Fan Club" and am a strong supporter. Team Maxon for the win!

I really love how America's character has grown. She's definitely headstrong, and actually has morals (compared to Celeste *shudders*). I loved her fierce determination and her beliefs in what's right. There's a lot in this book that tests America's strength and I'm glad she gets through most of it with a face of confidence.
A lot of this book is more about the rebellion that popped up every now and then in the first book, and so there was a lot more information as to how the Selection actually came to be and more about the political tensions and ties that Illéa has with other parts of the country and the world. Also pretty interesting to see the geography of this dystopian world, with places such as New Asia coming up. While I liked that there was a lot more of this background information, I felt that this took a toll on the romance and chemistry between Maxon and America or Aspen and America, BUT it was all a worthwhile cause because it's generating a lot more anticipation for me (and I'm sure fans of this series all over) for the final novel in this series.

Speaking of which... that ENDING. Oh my gosh. Definitely had me fanning myself and clutching my pearls (pshh as if I own any). I am so much more pumped up for The One because there are so many possibilities for the ending... and the cover. I've been reading what people are guessing will happen, but I have no idea. Except that I'm sure it will be as spectacular as the rest of the series and will conclude magnificently.
A lot of character changes happen in this book as well. You do get to know the other girls a lot better because the competition has narrowed down to 6 in this book. It's not very pretty sometimes, as things can get quite ugly. We also find ourselves learning more about the King and the Queen in midst of all of this and... I'm going to say much except that it's quite surprising. I'll leave it at that.

❝Usually when we were alone together, I could block out the other girls. But tonight I thought about the possibility of someone else in my place. Just imagining it: someone else in Maxon's arms, making him laugh, marrying him... It broke my heart.❞
–p. 38

•••ATTENTION. I'm sorry to announce that the reviewer has fainted due to the sheer "swoonosity" in this book.•••

*SWOON*

Whether you love dystopians, romance, action, politics, princesses, love triangles, rebellion– you have to read this book. Kiera Cass has created this brilliant, engrossing follow-up to a fantastic debut which I'm sure readers will fall in love with as much as I did. The Elite was possibly one of the best second-in-a-series books I've ever read, and has left me desperately clawing for more: The One.

▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Sarah from HarperCollins for sending me a copy for review! ▪ ▪ ▪

If you like this, try...

3 comments:

  1. the ending was totally worth it and i have such a good feeling for THE ONE too..... and i too am obsessed with The Selection too you know..... America and Maxon better be together in the end....

    great review
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite enjoyed this book as well. The romance was definitely taken up a notch. But I do have to say that America was frustrating as heck in this book. Half the time I felt like yelling MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MIND. It was annoying how she kept bouncing from one guy to the other. And I'm definitely Team Maxon as well!
    Nara @ Looking for the Panacea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was kind of disappointed with America in this book-like Nara, I just wanted her to make up her mind (especially when I feel like Maxon is *SO* obviously better!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!