Find Me by Romily Bernard

Find Me by Romily Bernard

Release Date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Edelweiss
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

“Find Me.”

These are the words written on Tessa Waye’s diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa’s just been found . . . dead.

Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target.

Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick. Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick’s deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?

Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.

But she’s going to find this killer no matter what.

Because it just got personal.

This book was featured in a post where I discussed books that would make potentially excellent thrillers on the screen. I still stand by that completely– Find Me had me holding my breath. It was a great story, and I'm not a fan of scary movies, but I still loved this one. The premise was original, piecing together the mystery was fantastic, and the romance was really spot-on. While the antagonist was actually quite easy to guess, I was still flipping pages to the very end.
But first, before I get all into characters and everything, can we please just take the time to appreciate that cover? I love it! And the tagline? No wonder I thought this would make a great suspenseful movie before I even read it. When I first saw it, I didn't even see the girl behind the words, but then I guess I "found her" later.

Wicket and Griff were such amazing characters and I felt that there definitely was a good connection. Sometimes in YA couples don't work for me. The girl can be too whiny, or stubborn, or just jumps right into the action without considering the consequences. The guy can be too clingy, too much of a, well, bad-boy, or *sigh* even too conflicting between two girls. However, I felt that this worked! I loved the pairing, I felt there was the right amount of romance as well as the appropriate amount of arguing that really made this one an enjoyable read.
What I do want to focus on was the killer. As I've mentioned before, the killer was quite easy to guess, but was interesting to see how everything fit into place, piece by piece. And holy moly, the person was a complete psychopath once unleashed! The final pages were action-packed and very thrilling as Wicket and the unmasked killer come face to face.

While the end promises a sequel – which I can't WAIT to sink into – I felt like this one could have actually worked as a standalone. Nonetheless, I'm still happy that there will be more Wicket and Griff, and I'm excited to get back into this world of hacking and deadly chases.
Find Me was engrossing– Romily Bernard has written a hair-raising debut that will be sure to have readers awake late into the night. The writing style was captivating and had me gripped into this story of a cat-and-mouse chase, and the fatal consequences that comes with it. Definitely looking forward to more!


If you like this, try...


▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading this and agree that the killer was really easy to guess but I loved the ending confrontation scenes as they had me frantically flipping the pages.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!