The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

Release Date: December 31, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Edelweiss
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how. 

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.

I'm a sucker for contemporaries, so it was no surprise that I really, really wanted to read this one. The adorable cover, the enticing blurb– I was hooked onto my quest for finding a copy of The Promise of Amazing to read, and when it popped as an eGalley available to download, you can imagine the squeal of glee I let out involuntarily. 

However, after reading it I must say: I was a little let down. I'm frustrated, because I wanted to love this book so much, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm usually fine with clichéd romance stories, but for some reason this just got under my skin and I didn't end up enjoying it for the most part.

When it comes to romance in this book, I felt that there was one thing missing, and is often the case for insta-love stories, and that is the struggle that leads up to the romance. After performing the Heimlich maneuver on Grayson – admittedly, this was my favorite part of the book – I felt that the romance was a little too rushed. It was like girl saves boy, looks into his eyes and BAM, CONNECTION! I mean sure, there was a little bit of conflict here and there, with "Oh, he's such a douche... but he's so hawt", and this "struggle" was pretty much one-sided. I really didn't see much resistance when it came to staying away from Grayson, which I'll admit, must be a heckuva job because physically, he's actually really hot. 
Which brings me to point number two, Wren doesn't really seem to have a spine. Until the end I think, it's pretty much like this: if Grayson screws up, he talks to her and then kisses her and poof! all is forgiven. It made me nearly claw my eyes out people. What happened to female power? Standing up for yourself and making sure he's really sorry for what he's done?  *shakes head slowly* nope, she's really clingy and that's what I HATED about Wren.

There were things that I did like concerning the characters:

1. Grayson's hotness (which we've already covered).
2. Eben, probably the best supporting character.

AAANNNDDD, I think that's it. Honestly, I loathed Wren's character. Her whole world revolves around Grayson after they meet. Ugh. Barf bag please? I think there was an overload of cheesiness. Grayson even wasn't that good a character (other than the much-mentioned physical appeal). He was a certified A-class douche who could be charming, but what he does other times is honestly repulsive, no matter how his conscience  goes against it.
The supporting characters didn't play much of a role in this book. I felt that there was an absence of character development for some of the minor characters, and that the book solely focuses on Wren and Grayson's romance. Luke was the only character, and probably Ava as well, who actually got some characterization, but other than that, there was just a bunch of names, a short mention, and some dialogue. That's it! I'm obviously no author (oh gods, could you imagine that? Everything would be in brackets or would have hyphens!) but I mean, if the book had been a little longer because it was for character development, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it much more.

I'm really sorry that this wasn't my cup of tea, because I honestly wish that I could have enjoyed it more. Nonetheless, I'll be sure to check out the next book Robin Constantine writes, and hopefully it'll be a much better experience than this one was. But hey, if you're looking for a not-so-fluffy-read that centers primarily around romance, then The Promise of Amazing is definitely for you. 


If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. I read the blurb for this one a while ago and knew I wouldn't like it xD Sorry you didnt' either, though! Also - Wren from this book reminds me of Wren from The Infinite Moment of Us and it's weird that they both have the same name hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment and about Grayson though I think he'd be hotter without the eyebrow stud!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!