The Dark by Lemony Snicket

The Dark by Lemony Snicket

Release Date: April 2, 2013
Illustrated by: Jon Klassen (Website)
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rated: Children 5+
Format: Hardcover Picture Book
Source: Gifted – thanks Vaidehi!
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Laszlo is afraid of the dark. The dark is not afraid of Laszlo. 

Laszlo lives in a house. The dark lives in the basement. 


One night, the dark comes upstairs to Laszlo's room, and Laszlo goes down to the basement.


This is the story of how Laszlo stops being afraid of the dark.

I don't usually review picture books, but I'm definitely willing to make an exception for Lemony Snicket's. I'm a huge fan of A Series of Unfortunate Events and have yet to start All the Wrong Questions. When I received The Dark for my 18th birthday (a gift to remember childhood, as my friend put it), I got down to reading it as soon as possible. My sister and I, sat there, side by side, and read the book in five minutes. Both of us being fans of Lemony Snicket, we loved that he had the same, interesting tone when he approached this book for younger children. My sister noted that he placed all the voice of Laszlo and the dark in the light and dark respectively. It's a really cute story about a boy overcoming his fear of the dark. It reminds me so much of the hundreds of picture books I'd consumed growing up, but the illustrations in this one are absolutely gorgeous. It felt amazing to pick up a picture book once again and actually get down to reading it.

Accompanied by adorable and beautiful illustrations, The Dark is one picture book that I feel anyone, young or old, can pick up and love. Lemony Snicket has returned with a lovely book aimed at younger readers, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

If you liked this, try...

  • The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein ● Goodreads
  • The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!