The Edge of Falling by Rebecca Serle

The Edge of Falling by Rebecca Serle

Release Date: March 28, 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Edelweiss
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads  Website

Growing up in privileged, Manhattan social circles, Caggie’s life should be perfect, and it almost was until the day that her younger sister drowned when Caggie was supposed to be watching her. Stricken by grief, Caggie pulls away from her friends and family, only to have everyone misinterpret a crucial moment when she supposedly saves a fellow classmate from suicide. Now she’s famous for something she didn’t do and everyone lauds her as a hero. But inside she still blames herself for the death of her sister and continues to pull away from everything in her life, best friend and perfect boyfriend included. Then Caggie meets Astor, the new boy at school, about whom rumours are swirling and known facts are few. In Astor she finds someone who just might understand her pain, because he has an inner pain of his own. But the more Caggie pulls away from her former life to be with Astor, the more she realises that his pain might be darker, and deeper, than anything she’s ever felt. His pain might be enough to end his life…and Caggie’s as well.

I fell in love with Rebecca Serle’s When You Were Mine, so, without a doubt, I was determined to get my hands on The Edge of Falling, her latest book. Luckily I got the chance to read this early, and while I still think her debut novel was better, The Edge of Falling was a close follow-up. It was a gorgeous read, one I would call a “darker” contemporary, because it does deal with teen issues and isn’t exactly a light and fluffy read. There is a slight twist, which I kind of guessed right off the bat, but it’s still a bit of a shock once you read through the novel.
When I started this book, I’ll admit: I was a little lost and confused. It jumps straight in, and while it does give a description of everyone and everything that’s been going on, I was still a little perplexed by what exactly was happening. I mean, everything does slowly comes together, but GAH I kinda fell into this one blindly.

I liked Caggie because I liked the way she thought. It’s interesting to see the world through her character’s point of view because she addresses things that wouldn’t usually be noticed normally. However, I didn’t like the fact that she keeps to her self. I mean, yes, you went through a traumatic experience that was absolutely tragic, but that doesn’t mean that you cut out everyone in your life and when some guy comes along you drop everything and instead do everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) with him. Speaking of... I didn’t really have a preference for which guy she’d end up with for the first half of the book. Both had their meh-moments and I wasn’t really feeling the swoon-factor all too much. But then, there’s a slight twist and a definite outcome of who she should be with.
While the first parts of the book were really slow, the end definitely picked up. The action becomes more intense and as secrets come out, there’s no saying what could happen. Caggie’s then forced to look to the past and face what had happened on both accounts and I thought that the emotions evoked at this point were really believable and you could easily empathise with her character.

The Edge of Falling was a touching novel: melancholic and dark, yet promising. The narrative sweeps you away into a world of grief and anguish, and Serle has captured me in her words' grasp once again. I’m excited to see what else she’ll write next!


If you like this, try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!